This paper, accompanied by the discussions and the preceding introduction, was delivered May 9, 1974 as part of an anniversary celebration commemorating a half century of existence for the psychiatric unit at Henry Ford Hospital. Established in 1924 by the late Thomas J. Heldt, M.D., as a division of neuropsychiatry in the department of medicine, the unit is generally believed to be the first to be incorporated into a general hospital anywhere. It was - and is - conducted without physical restraints of any kind, without isolation of patients, and without segregation of men and women.
Frank, Jerome D.
"How Psychotherapy Heals,"
Henry Ford Hospital Medical Journal
: Vol. 22
Available at: https://scholarlycommons.henryford.com/hfhmedjournal/vol22/iss2/5