Associations of Serum Lipid-Soluble Micronutrients With Hepatic Steatosis Among Adults in the United States

Document Type

Conference Proceeding

Publication Date


Publication Title

Current Developments in Nutrition


Objectives: Research suggests lipid-soluble micronutrients may be beneficial to chronic disease treatment and prevention. This study examined associations of serum lipid-soluble micronutrients (α- and γ-tocopherols, 25-hydroxy-vitamin D [25(OH) D], retinol, and carotenoids) and hepatic steatosis among adults in the United States utilizing the 2017–2018 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.

Methods: The analysis included 4779 adults aged ≥20 years who completed the transient elastography examination. A threshold value of 302 dB/m was selected to identify participants with steatosis (S > S1, 5% steatosis). Odds ratios (OR) and 95% confidence intervals (95%CI) were estimated using logistic regressions adjusting for relevant covariates.

Results: The age-adjusted prevalence of steatosis was 28.0%. Higher serum α-tocopherol (highest vs. lowest quartile: OR=1.63, 95%CI=1.07–2.48, Ptrend=0.02) and γ-tocopherol (highest vs. lowest quartile: OR=2.42, 95%CI=1.80–3.24, Ptrend

Conclusions: Our results suggest potential protective associations of serum lipid-soluble micronutrients such as 25(OH)D and carotenoids with steatosis. The positive associations between tocopherols and steatosis may indicate inflammation associated with steatosis as it was reported γ-tocopherol rises in response to inflammation.



First Page