Document Type

Conference Proceeding

Publication Date


Publication Title

J Am Acad Dermatol


Vitiligo is a chronic autoimmune disease characterized by the destruction of melanocytes, resulting in depigmented skin lesions. Epidemiology studies in vitiligo are often limited to smaller sample sizes and rely on dermatology clinics as the source population. The population-based Vitiligo and Life Impact Among International Communities (VALIANT) study sought to understand the natural history of vitiligo among patients around the world. Here, data from US participants are presented. Participants were recruited via an online panel. Adults (aged ≥18 years) who self-reported a vitiligo diagnosis by a health care professional were eligible to participate. Of 608 US patients, 58% were male; median (range) age at the time of the survey was 36 (18–83) years. Mean disease duration was 11 years, with a mean 1.6 years between first noticing lesions and achieving a formal diagnosis. More than one-third of patients were previously misdiagnosed (37%), with higher rates among patients with darker skin types (67% for Fitzpatrick types IV–VI). Nearly two-thirds (62%) directly sought treatment for vitiligo; vitiligo was an incidental finding in the remaining 38%. Nearly two-thirds (64%) were diagnosed by a dermatologist, or a nurse practitioner or physician assistant in a dermatology-focused practice. Most patients (71%) noted a family history of vitiligo (comparable paternal vs maternal). Median body surface area affected by vitiligo was 4.23%, as measured by the self-assessed Vitiligo Extent Scale. In summary, these findings provide a new perspective on the diagnosis journey for patients with vitiligo and highlight the need for accurate, more timely diagnosis.





First Page




To view the content in your browser, please download Adobe Reader or, alternately,
you may Download the file to your hard drive.

NOTE: The latest versions of Adobe Reader do not support viewing PDF files within Firefox on Mac OS and if you are using a modern (Intel) Mac, there is no official plugin for viewing PDF files within the browser window.