Timing and Complications of Intestinal Ostomy Takedown After Intestinal and Multivisceral Transplantation

Document Type


Publication Date


Publication Title

Transplantation proceedings


BACKGROUND: Ileostomies are typically created at the time of intestinal and multivisceral transplantation to assist in graft monitoring with endoscopy and biopsies. Often, these ostomies are reversed with a takedown procedure once there is stable graft function, but data are limited on associated complications of the takedown procedure for patients with intestinal transplants.

METHODS: To assess complications associated with takedowns in this patient population, we performed a retrospective analysis of patients who had an intestinal transplant with elective ostomy takedown after transplant. No prisoners were used in the study and this manuscript is in compliance with the Helsinki Congress and the Declaration of Istanbul.

RESULTS: A total of 16 patients, 10 isolated patients with intestinal transplants and 6 patients with multivisceral transplants, were included in the study, and takedown occurred at a mean of (236.8 ± 117.1) days after transplant. Of the 16 patients, 5 patients (31%) had uncomplicated courses after takedown with no infection, no rejection, and no hospital readmission within 3 months of takedown. The rest of the patients (69%) developed either infection or rejection within 3 months of takedown, and 1 patient died of infection after ileostomy takedown.

CONCLUSION: This case series highlights the high risk of complications after ileostomy takedown for patients with intestinal transplants and contributes to the growing debate regarding the role of ileostomy creation and reversal in patients with intestinal transplants.

Medical Subject Headings

Humans; Retrospective Studies; Ostomy; Intestines; Ileostomy; Endoscopy

PubMed ID



ePub ahead of print





First Page


Last Page