Download Full Text (562 KB)
Vascular & Interventional Radiology
Resident PGY 2
Henry Ford Hospital
Objective: The rise of endovascular aneurysm repair (EVAR) as the preferred treatment for abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA) has introduced endoleaks as a major complication following AAA repair. The objective of this study is to assess the outcomes associated with endovascular embolization of type II endoleaks after EVAR. Methods: The institutional Radiology database at our tertiary referral hospital was queried for type II endoleak during the period 2006-2018. A retrospective chart review was then carried out. Only patients who underwent intervention for isolated type 2 endoleaks were analyzed. The primary outcome was success of the endoleak repair as determined by cessation of growth (i.e., ≤5mm change in diameter over follow-up period) of the native aneurysm sac. Patient outcomes for each failure of the above criterion were also collected. Other data pertaining to the location of endoleak, type of occlusion performed, type of embolic agent used, type of endograft used for EVAR, and incidence of aneurysm rupture were collected as secondary outcomes.Results:During this period 41 patients were treated for type II endoleaks. Demographics are shown in table 1. Cessation of growth was achieved in 28/41 (68.3%) of the patients after one embolization procedure. In 13/41 (31.7%) of patients, growth of the native aneurysm sac continued. Of the patients whose aneurysms continued to grow, 61.5% (8/13) did not undergo a second embolization. The remaining 38.5% (5/13) underwent a second embolization.Patient outcomes for both of these groups are presented in table II. None of the patients were found to have ruptured their aneurysm sac during follow-up after embolization. None of gender, race, the embolization site, or method of embolization were associated with embolization failure. Conclusions: Embolization of type II endoleaks is associated with a cessation of growth in the majority of cases and seems to be protective regarding the risk of aneurysm sac rupture. Future studies and additional follow-up will be important to elucidate the most significant risk factors for expansion and/or rupture of the endovascularly repaired abdominal aneurysm.Table I: Demographics for patients with type II endoleaks who underwent endovascular embolizationVariableValue Age (years +/- sd)75.66 +/- yearsAverage follow-up (months)62.65 monthsSex (%)71.7% male28.3% femaleRace (%)77.7% white17.8% black4.4% otherInflow vessel (%)43.2% lumbar only36.4% IMA only20.5% mixEmbolization site (%)40.5% vessel only14.3% cavity only20.5% mixEmbolization type (%)66.7% coil9.5% glue23.8% mixTable II: Outcomes for patients with continued growth after embolizationThose that did no undergo further embolizationThose that underwent a second embolization 3 were found to have type III endoleak and were successfully repaired with lining of the graft.2 whose aneurysm sac ceased growing. 2 who declined further treatment. 2 whose aneurysm sac continued to grow with persistent evidence of endoleak.1 who died from non-vascular complications. 1 who was lost to follow-up. 1 who is scheduled future surgical repair. 1 who was lost to follow-up.
Greer, Garret; Sullivan, Brian; Al Adas, Ziad; Weaver, Mitchell R; McVinnie, David W; Nypaver, Timothy J; Shepard, Alexander D.; and Kabbani, Loay S, "Success Rate of Embolization for Type II Endoleaks at a Major Tertiary Referral Center" (2019). Clinical Research. 27.