Robotic Trachelectomy After Supracervical Hysterectomy for Benign Gynecologic Disease.
Tsafrir Z, Aoun J, Hanna R, Papalekas E, Schiff L, Theoharis E, and Eisenstein D. Robotic trachelectomy after supracervical hysterectomy for benign gynecologic disease. Jsls 2016; 20(3)
JSLS : Journal of the Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons / Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons
BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVES: A renewed interest in the supra cervical approach to hysterectomy has created a cohort of patients with a retained cervix at risk of persistent symptoms requiring a subsequent trachelectomy. The objective of this study was to evaluate the efficacy of robotic trachelectomy after a previous supracervical hysterectomy.
METHODS: This is a retrospective chart review of women who had robotic trachelectomy after supracervical hysterectomy for benign gynecologic disease from January 2009 through October 2014.
RESULTS: Eleven patients underwent robotic trachelectomy for benign conditions during the observed period. Prior supracervical hysterectomy had been performed for pelvic pain (8/11, 73%), abnormal uterine bleeding (7/11, 64%), and dysmenorrhea (5/11, 45%). In 10 of 11 patients, the symptoms leading to robotic trachelectomy were the same as those leading to supracervical hysterectomy. The time from hysterectomy to recurrence of symptoms ranged from 0.5 to 26 months (median, 6), whereas the time interval from previous surgery to robotic trachelectomy ranged from 1 to 57 months (median, 26). Mean age and body mass index at robotic trachelectomy were 42 ± 5.4 years and 32 ± 6.1 kg/m(2). Mean length of surgery was 218 ± 88 minutes (range, 100-405). There was 1 major postoperative complication involving bladder perforation and subsequent vesicovaginal fistula (VVF). Endometriosis was seen in 27% of pathologic specimens and cervicitis in another 27%; 45% showed normal tissue histology. In 6 (55%) cases, symptoms leading to trachelectomy resolved completely after surgery, and the other 5 (45%) patients reported a significant improvement.
CONCLUSIONS: Although trachelectomy can be a challenging surgery, our experience suggests that the robotic approach may be a valuable means of achieving safe and reproducible outcomes.
Medical Subject Headings
Adult; Aged; Female; Genital Diseases, Female; Humans; Hysterectomy; Middle Aged; Retrospective Studies; Robotic Surgical Procedures; Trachelectomy; Treatment Outcome