Henry Ford Hospital Medical Journal


Eduardo Camacho


Three thousand two hundred fifty cases of intestinal amebiasis (25%), out of 13,000 consecutive cases, were studied. It was found that 2,275 (70%) had clinical manifestations of the disease, and 975 (30%) were carriers. From the 2,275 with abdominal signs, 1,250 cases (51%) resembled the clinical picture of the chronic irritable colon syndrome. Antiamebic therapy was effective in all of these cases. On the other hand, 1,255 (49%) had acute and severe manifestations of amebic-ulcerative proctocolitis with serious complications, including amebic granulomata (40 cases or 3.2%) and ulcer perforation (14 cases or 1.2%). Because amebic ulcerative proctocolitis is dangerous, the patient with acute or chronic indications must be diagnosed early and adequate medical therapy given promptly for an effective period of time. This will avoid the morbidity and mortality of the main complications of amebic granuloma and ulcer perforation. The danger of malignancy developing on the amebic granuloma is stressed.



To view the content in your browser, please download Adobe Reader or, alternately,
you may Download the file to your hard drive.

NOTE: The latest versions of Adobe Reader do not support viewing PDF files within Firefox on Mac OS and if you are using a modern (Intel) Mac, there is no official plugin for viewing PDF files within the browser window.